How to Reset Netgear Extender: A Step By Step Guide
To reset your Netgear extender using the Reset button:
- Verify that your Netgear extender’s Power light is on.
- Locate your Mywifiext extender’s Reset or Factory Reset button. …
- Use a paper clip or similar object to press and hold the Reset or Factory Reset button for seven seconds.
- Release the Reset or Factory Reset button.
Netgear, the most prominent Wi-Fi range extender, provides an unparalleled boost in the network. However, sometimes you may encounter a problem or two with it. Although many problems are minor and can easily be fixed, problems related to the firmware can only be solved through a factory data reset.
Therefore, let us take a glance at the step by step process of resetting your Netgear extender.
Who will be benefited through this guide?
This guide is helpful for everyone who’s looking to know how to reset Netgear Extender. Moreover, you may require resetting your extender because of these things:
- Your Netgear extender is not working at all
- You can access the network but the internet still doesn’t works
- Your Wi-Fi extender is not connected with the router’s network
Therefore, if you are facing any of the issues from the list above, you may try doing a factory data reset. But, before we process on How to reset Netgear Extender, here’s a list of requirements that you need to arrange before resetting your extender.
First of all, arrange these things as follows:
- A power outlet with ample supply
- Tight wires that are not worn out from anywhere
Also, make sure that you don’t use an extension cord to connect the extender because a damaged connection can cause interruption in the reset process. Moreover, it can also cause huge damage to the extender and make it useless afterward.
Next up, turn on the extender and let it boot completely. Make sure that you don’t interrupt the extender in between the booting process otherwise you may invite other problems to your Netgear extender.
Lastly, take note of each and every change that you make during the setup process. You can note things like password, security options, network SSID, and anything else you feel is important. You can either note them on a textbook or can make a table for the same.
Now let us head towards the main thing…
How to reset Netgear Extender
Basically, there are two broad options to reset your Netgear extender. You can do it either of these ways:
- Using the factory reset button (preferred for non-tech savvy people)
- Using web-based reset (ideal for people with experience in managing tech)
Therefore, let us have a look at each of these methods one by one.
Using factory data reset button
- Locate the button
The button is hidden inside a very narrow hole so as to prevent unwanted reset of the extender by mistake. You may find this button on the back body of your extender. Search for a narrow and unnoticeable hole at the back.
- Press the button
Now, you will require a clip or any thin and sharp object to press the button. Just insert the sharp object in the reset button and keep it pressed for like 10-20 seconds. Moreover, make sure that you don’t exert much pressure on the button otherwise you may break it.
Furthermore, the button itself is highly delicate so you need to be really careful with it. After you keep it pressed for around 10-20 seconds, the extender will begin the reset process.
Release the button
Keep an eye on the lights of your extender. Release the button once you see that all of the lights on the extender are turned off. However, just make sure that the power LED is still blinking. Also, make sure that you don’t press the power button for more than 20 seconds.
Keeping the button pressed for more than 20 seconds can even freeze the whole process and you surely don’t want this to happen. Hence, you must make sure that you don’t press the reset button for more than 20 seconds.
- Let the process finish
You’re done with all the major steps and now you just need to wait for the process to complete automatically. The process may take around 5-10 minutes to complete. Meanwhile, ensure that you don’t unplug or remove the extender from the power supply.
And that’s it! Your extender will be successfully sent to factory settings after following all the mentioned steps. Now let us have a look at the other method to reset your extender.
Using the web interface
Let us now have a look at the web interface (mywifiext.net) reset method. Here is a list of requirements that you need to do before starting with the process:
A laptop or any other device capable of connecting with the network
A working Ethernet cable
Now let us continue with the steps…
- First of all, connect your extender to a stable source of power and connect your internet-accessible device (computer, laptop) to the extender using an Ethernet cable. After that, just open a browser of your choice and visit the website – mywifiext.net.
- Now when you are on the mentioned web address, you need to type in the default credentials (if you’ve not changed them lately).
- After you’ve successfully logged in to the setup page with the credentials, you need to find out the reset button on the website. Usually, you will be able to find the reset button in the other section of the settings menu on the setup page.
- Now, all you need to do is click on the reset button and confirm the action by clicking on the yes button on the prompt box. After that, the extender will take a while to get back to the factory settings. Meanwhile, you’ll not be able to access internet-connected services.
- Lastly, the extender reset will be done successfully and the power LED will go off for a while. Once the whole process has been finished, you can proceed with the configuration process of the extender.
So now you clearly know how to reset the Netgear Extender. If you encounter any problem during the setup process, you can feel free to contact the support team. Moreover, the reset process is extremely easy if you follow all the steps mentioned carefully.